Thursday, April 8, 2010

One Day At A Time.

Some days, the only way I'm able to push myself forward, is by recalling times in the past when I felt just this worried, discouraged, or disheartened, and the worst never happened.

Al-Anon doesn't promise that we will never feel any of these emotions, but over time, it does give us positive memories upon which to draw on days like this - when I feel bone-tired, and life is a slog.

One day at a time - close the door behind which all of my fears of the future lurk, waiting to consume me, and do whatever small bit I can do during this day. Let that be enough. Feelings are not facts.

No inspiration today, just plodding through. So it goes. I'm grateful to know that I've been here many times before, and when I look back, the shark didn't even take a nibble out of me,   just swam silently by.
This too shall pass.

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there Cheryl. Pick up a book, read a little, or whatever you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming here and reading this is what I needed for today.

    You said, 'close the door behind which all of my fears of the future lurk....and do whatever small bit I can do' and that really resonated with me.

    I get so caught up in worrying about things, that it causes a weird form of procrastination. Today was a day that I pushed through some things on my to do list, and I am glad I did.

    You're right, this too shall pass. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in a similar place. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to acknowledge my fears and figure out what drives them. I realize that most of the time they are related to abandonment and rejection issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here, here. I find enormous comfort when I'm troubled in being able to remember all the times that things have worked out! Thanks and have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete