Saturday, December 26, 2009

Doing My Part.

The last line in today's reading in the ODAT is:

"God helps those who help themselves."

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, with all the negativity we've run across since we decided to sell our house and move to the city. I've learned in Al-Anon that whenever I substitute someone else's judgement for my own, I will regret it. That lesson has made it possible for me to make choices and work to implement them, regardless of who is saying what to me. Time and again, I've had almost everyone I talk to, flatly telling me that whatever it is I'm going to do, won't work. I've learned to smile politely, say something noncommittal, and keep going.

I try to be open and aware of the cues from my Higher Power - when I'm on the right path, things slide into place with ease, and amazing speed. Which isn't to say that I haven't done hours, days, weeks of preparation work beforehand. That is the part that the naysayers don't see, or chose to ignore: the hours of slog and grind behind the successful outcome.

I know that if I do the work, pay attention to the signals from my HP, adapt and strive to always be making smarter choices, I will succeed. It's that simple. And that difficult. But as an old friend used to say, "What else have you got to do?"

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine used to say, "When you ask for God's help, be prepared to bring a shovel." I always loved that. These days, like you, I try to take cues from my HP. And I agree that when I'm on the right track, things seems to fall into place. When I'm not, I get increasingly understandable messages that I'm not doing the right thing. But I need to take some action in order to get that feedback. If it's supposed to happen, it will. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that when I'm in tune with my HP, wonderful things happen and life doesn't stress me as much. I just tend to run on self-will sometimes and that is a problem.

    ReplyDelete