Friday, June 5, 2009

Life Is Fragile.

I'm in shock tonight, I've just heard that my neighbour of two houses down died this week - she was only in her late 40's. I didn't know her at all well, but I did have gardening conversations with her over the years we've lived here. I'd stop to talk when she was in her front garden, and I was passing with my dogs. She had a gentle voice, and a friendly manner.

At times like this, I am reminded of the fragility of life, and the terrifying celerity with which our loved ones can be snatched away. On my walk tonight, I met an elderly friend who lost his wife of 32 years late last year. When I asked him how he was managing, he replied that he hadn't thought he'd ever have to do anything as hard as just continue living, after the woman he loved had died.

My neighbour was still a young and healthy woman - just recently, she had purchased a new car. I saw it sitting on the street in front of her house this evening, as I returned from my dog walk. She barely had time to enjoy that gift to herself, before she was gone.

The wolf is always at the door.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss. Your post is a good reminder to make the most of our time while we still have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about the neighbor's death. One never knows the day or the hour. It just brings home more and more that it is truly one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete