Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Death In The Family

One of my husband's brothers died in his sleep this week at the age of 61. He wasn't a man who was ever able to find contentment or satisfaction in life, and that's so desperately sad to consider. He and my husband were never able to be close, due to his brother's unkindness and anger, and that's sad, too. I'm grateful that my husband is working with a new sponsor, and making great strides forward in his program, so that he doesn't follow that same path of increasing frustration and anger all the way to the end.

I'm grateful for all who have lit the way for us in 12-Step, and all of those for whom we may be able to shine a light.

Yesterday I was in a mournful mood most of the day, until my husband came home and made me laugh, and an email from my own precious brother did the same. I'm grateful for the bloggers who sit down and write about their journey, and for all the love that we've been given so generously.

Life is short, and we're frail, despite our desires to believe differently.  Today is the only day we ever get - make it enough.

4 comments:

  1. "Life is short, and we're frail" I know it! thanks for sharing and lighting the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my grandmother was passing in the hospital a Japanese woman commented to me,"Remember without death there is no life." Hearing those words helped me with her passing. I would like to offer them to you to aid you during these times of sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very true. I am sorry about your husband's brother. It's sad that they didn't make amends. Going to the grave as an angry person is not what I want. Take care. My condolences to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you wrote... "I'm grateful for all who have lit the way for us in 12-Step, and all of those for whom we may be able to shine a light." In tough times that light can be so comforting. Keeping you and your husband in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete