Monday, August 17, 2009

Tradition Two.

"For our group purpose there is but one authority - a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants, they do not govern."

This Tradition is another solid reminder about working together as a group, and a fellowship. God is our only authority, because He's the only one able to do the job without having it go to His head. Many of us in 12-Step have as a common character defect, the desire to control - so this Tradition makes very clear that trying to control inside the group or the fellowship, is counter-productive to our healing.

If I'm not comfortable with the direction in which a group is headed, I can ask for a group conscience, and speak up about it. But I'm not an "expert" because I've been in program for many years - I have no more and no less value to the group than the newcomer beside me, who may be at his or her first meeting.

I've had the experience, more than once, of listening to a newcomer, and having what they've said be the catalyst for a huge leap forward in my growth and understanding - that's the miracle of Al-Anon.

Nobody is the "boss" of a group - and the usual ways in which people divide themselves do not apply inside a meeting - wealth and privilege don't get us any closer to God - prayer and meditation do. A healthy group will resist attempts to control through group consciences. I've seen the odd attempt to manage or direct fall flat, through the rest of the group lovingly recognising and hearing the person, while gently ignoring the behavior, until the message comes across.

I use this Tradition in my family life - reminding myself that I am not the governing body of my household, either - just a "trusted servant."

1 comment:

  1. How true about not having any bosses in meetings. I've seen some meetings that are dominated by an individual. The controlling behavior isn't one that I am fond of. This tradition reminds me that we are all on equal footing and that we don't compare ourselves to others.

    ReplyDelete